The fees to upgrade your Dropbox storage space are pretty high, and as a
student I don't have heaps of money to spend on a service like this.
Although I managed to get the maximum referral bonus space (16gb) in only a few hours today with these steps!
Of course you can also just ask 64 of your friends (or 32 if you did step 1) to join and get the same result, but I stumbled upon a nice shortcut method.
This seem to be completely legal, and I will describe them below:
- If you are a student, teacher or otherwise connected to an educational institute, first go here and sign yourself up with your educational email address for the Dropbox Edu plan (500mb bonus for each referral, also for the ones in the past, instead of only 250mb)
- Request a free $75/€50 AdWords coupon here. Please use a valid name (both firstname and lastname), corporate email address (your
personal website with a domain will do) and your corporate website
(your own website with a domain will do).
This will be validated by a Google support employee and takes about 1-2 weeks time until you will receive an email containing this voucher.
- Go to Google Adwords and login/register with your (existing) Google Account. Go to Billing, enter your personal details (remember to enter real information, no payment details are needed in any way!) and on the next page, choose Manual Payment and then Coupon/Voucher. Enter your Coupon code here.
- Now you got the coupon's amount of money on your Google Adwords account. Go to Campaigns, New campaign.
- Choose a name (default will do), set both Locations and Languages to
All Locations and Languages for the fastest referrals.
Leave the rest of the options at their default setting, but at the Bidding and Budget option, enter €50 (or $75) for Maximum Budget a Day.
(Note: you can also lower it to like the half or a quarter of your total amount, but I found the maximum amount to work the fastest)
Now you have to enter details for the Advertisement itself. Leave the most settings at their default value, but change these:
Name to whatever you want (doesn't matter, default will do)
Leave the kind of ads to Text advertisement.Enter the rest of the details as seen here:
of course, change refferal to your referral id. Log in to the Dropbox website and click here:
Then find your referral link here:
In the Search Keywords field, enter these exactly like this:
Save the campaign, wait for 1-2 hours and start receiving mails from Dropbox congratulating you on your referral bonus!
- (in my recent experience, you can max out about 4-5 Dropbox accounts with the free Adwords Coupon, by just changing the Advertisement when the max referral bonus has been reached)
Enjoy and spread the great news!
I didn't find this out myself, but stumbled upon several posts on the internet and combined them into this post which works the best for me :)